The best way to start your day is now the best way to end it
That is the slogan of Counting Sheep Coffee – yes, you read that right – coffee to help you sleep.
How many times have you craved coffee in the evening or late at night but had to settle for another drink in case the caffeine will keep you awake? Well now you no longer have to settle – you can enjoy coffee at anytime of the day or night with Counting Sheep Coffee. Available in two strengths – 40 winks and the stronger lights out – this Swiss Water® decaffeinated coffee is blended with organic valerian root ( a herbal sedative) to create a great tasting coffee and help you unwind.
I was sent some Counting Sheep Coffee to try, and I must admit it took me a few days to try because I was sceptical and worried it would keep me awake. Finally I plucked up the courage and brewed up some of the milder, forty winks blend for my husband and I to try. To start with it smelt great. There was a lovely aroma and it was quite a change to have the smell of coffee floating around the house at 9pm. Next, the all important taste test. Knowing that the coffee contained valerian root I was expecting to taste something unfamiliar, maybe a herbal undertone but all I could taste was great coffee! The flavour was just strong enough for me and the taste was lovely and smooth – we were both soon back in the kitchen for a second cup.
We were both curious to see if the coffee was just going to ‘not keep us awake’ or actively help us drift off and I was especially concerned that if there was a sedative effect it might continue next morning. We tried the coffee at different times and in different situations and this is what we discovered:
- Drinking the coffee between about 3pm & 7pm, when we were still very active, didn’t make us sleepy but didn’t keep us awake as regular coffee would.
- Having a couple of cups during the evening from about 7pm to 10pm had a relaxing effect. When I sat down and drank a cup I felt less awake, but only pleasantly relaxed – not actually sleepy.
- Once we were tired – mostly after 10pm – it really helped us drift off. I have an especially hard time falling asleep and saw a noticeable difference when I drank Counting Sheep. I was more relaxed when going to bed and feel asleep much more quickly.
- Numerous cups at different times during the day had no noticeable sedative effect – but were very enjoyable!
- Neither of us had any kind of ‘hangover’ effect the next morning. There was no residual drowsiness and we both felt alert and ready for the day.
Counting Sheep would also be great for lattes, cappuccinos and such, in the evenings after dinner now you can have the luxury of a delicious coffee after dinner, without staying up all night.
We would certainly recommend Counting Sheep Coffee – and not because they are based right here in Vancouver! We’d recommend Counting Sheep Coffee because it brews well, smells good and tastes great. It would be good to drink without the added benefit of it’s relaxation inducing qualities, but with them, it’s a real winner.
Where can you buy your own Counting Sheep Coffee?
You can buy Counting Sheep Coffee in Bed, Bath & Beyond across the US & Canada, Kings, Balduccis and select Co-Ops. You can also buy online at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca . Both blends – Forty Winks (formally Bedtime Blend) and Lights Out! are available in bags of ground and as single serve pods in a box of 18.